Friday 29 May 2015

Migrate MySQL to Oracle using multiple virtualboxes

After 10 years I have come back to MySQL and there is quite a lot of things which may concern an Oracle DBA.

MySQL and Oracle live under the same company roof
as I have predicted 12 years ago and the results of the meanwhile peaceful  conjugal live have turned out to be impressing for Oracle DBA's as well.
Note: there is an addition on the page MySQL and the Oracle DBA

I am focussing here on the flagship SqlDeveloper. Even Oracle's critics e.g. TechRepublic acknowledge some features.

My esteemed colleague Rex Baldazo would certainly share my view, that the latest improvements in migrating technology have been implemented very well in SqlDeveloper 4.1.

I have permitted myself to apply the capabilities of that tool in my latest project train.oracle12.migration in a very special way.

Step by step


1. There is a MySQL installation on my host and I want to work SqlDeveloper on that. Let us create a new connection with these properties:

Note the connection types Oracle and MySQL. How to arrange for that see Martin Berger  unfortunately only in German or look for equivalents.

2.  Test the connection

and note the existing databases. classicmodels is the equivalent for the EXAMPLE tablespace well known to all Oracle DBAs.

3.  Enjoy the known features



i.e. the show quickly all aspects of a table

4. Enjoy some new feature





and look at the referential embedding of the table.

5. Why do I do that ?
The sense of all that is: i want to migrate this MySQL database into an Oracle12c database using the Migration feature of SqlDeveloper.


6. Create a project


7. Choose the source database





 8. Choose the source schema


9. Specify the conversion rules


10. Choose the target database for the repository

Don't be afraid: I am not trying to import the MySQL database classicmodels into a Container database, which would be nonsense and result in an error. I am just using it for the repository, because this CDB1 was up an running. I could have done it with another Oracle12c database inside the guest VM.

11.  Last control



12. The very last control and Summary before launching





13.  Go

it will not take very long with that little database.







And now - what is the result ?

Remember the project page: there was an output directory specified on the host.





SqlDeveloper has created sql-files, which you can import in any Oracle database. Here are the first lines of the master.sql





Really not bad. Enjoy your own tests.

No comments: